Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: I'm stepping in

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I'm stepping in

Day light savings time, change of clock, spring forward, whatever you want to call ittwo words : it sucks!

We are all tired and can't get to bed early to try and make up for the lost hour. Yesterday was okay, but talk about dragging today- wow!

Ty struggled a lot on Sunday- it was so up and down, I don't think my head has stopped spinning yet!

Yesterday he was the last one to wake up- that was quite nice...

And today has been a pretty good day- until something I've talked about with the behaviorists (a technique that was not working and was not something that could continue at this time since it consistently sends him into a behavior that is pure aggression and destruction and well, what the hell does he learn from that- it's the only way he tells us he's not handling it....

So last time it was a few weeks ago and I had a talk with them, we just can't go there knowing the outcome, it's not fair to our family and it's not fair to Ty... he may be a very difficult child, okay, not maybe, he is... but I do not have the right nor does anyone else have the right to purposely challenge him on something we know isn't effective and always sends him into "freak out" mode....we will know when he can handle it... believe me- he has come so far- yet to everyone on the outside, they would never know it.

He gets himself dressed now, and not only that, when he needs help, he simply asks. Do you know what he used to do?

Freak out, scream, cry, throw, and become very destructive. Even as a 4, 5 and 6 year old... and even 7 and 8.

It's hard to explain to others who don't understand these types of developmental delays and issues that putting on a pair of pants, or putting on a sock, well it was and still is a very challenging task to him. But after years of OT, and practice at home, and patience by us as parents, he gets himself dressed.

It's not easy, there are a lot of steps involved and the coordination of one's body and brain sending the correct signals, well, it's not that simply and when your brain and body don't communicate properly CONSTANTLY, well, no wonder it's frustrating and difficult.

anyway, back to this challenge, I usually no matter what don't step in unless asked or there is a behavior occurring that I need to help control.

With that being said, Ty was feeling so frustrated and kept asking me to help him, that B was listening and I'm using my words, and why should I use my words if no one is going to listen, I'm feelings frustrated!

WHAT!!!!!

He's feeling frustrated- this is so flippin' huge!!!!!

How could I stand back and not help him - this is exactly what we are continually working on all the time, every hour of every day, using our words to communicate how we feel, what we need, what we want, etc.. this is called 'FUNCTIONAL COMMUNICATION"...... it goes far beyond "words".... so yeah, I'm going to step in and assist my little guy who is struggling.

No comments :