Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: I just love Lego's- I think I've said this before-

Sunday, March 2, 2014

I just love Lego's- I think I've said this before-

So I let my kids watch a documentary last night. A friend had recommended to me and I asked her some more details and it seemed pretty tame for the topic.

We watched "Blackfish".

My kids love documentaries, they love NOVA, they love animal documentaries, they love "Planet Earth". It's actually something we've usually been able to watch all together and enjoy it.

So, again back to "Blackfish", as it was of course disturbing because of the way the industry treats these incredible animals, but nothing inappropriate by my standards... (now my kid is not able to watch Transformers, Marvel Super heroes and several other cartoonish shows because they are simply too activating to his brain.

One thing I've learned through all the OT over the years, input in, is input out.... no matter what- things that stimulate the brain, in put in.. also has to have a release, in put out!

And for Ty, this is never a pretty situation. So, many many cartoons, are too fast paced, too quick with lights and activity, and it doesn't have to be a cartoon- just something that we have noticed is too activating to him- therefore causing an input out reaction that he is never capable to stay in control.

Remember my posts on self regulating... well he doesn't self regulate!

So, documentary was good. My kids enjoyed it, it's eye opening to them about how things seem, but what the reality is. I like that it teaches some good critical thinking skills and especially inhumane situations- it helps them with empathy- and empathy towards animals is much easier (actually for both Megan and Ty), but especially for Ty.

So, love when he gets all geared up in his mind, filling it with ideas, imagination, creativity, and then is able to act out his ideas. That's the greatest thing to watch.

And so (as I always do, ask permission to take a picture of "his play") he granted me permission to take a picture of this mornings creative lego play. It's so awesome- and so detailed!

It's a picture of a lego platform for the audience, in front is a bowl of water (yes real water)with a toy Orca Whale in it, as it's giant pool. The people are in the stands watching the performance of the Whale, and then Ty continues to show me how the whale jumps up and splashes the people. How cool is this imagination play!

The next picture is the rest of the Sea Land- 5 more bowls filled with water, different sizes to house different sea creatures. One has several sharks, one has a Manta Ray, one has other species of whales-some bowls have ladders leading into them, so of course the workers can enter the tanks. Then he also built the ticket booth where people pay and get a ticket to enter the exhibit (as he called it). Love this !!!

And there is a boat that can take them around or they can walk and go see all the different animals that are part of the park. Picture is below:

This was a great moment. He was playing, being creative, being calm, focused, using knowledge he had learned, acting out his idea. I just love what Lego's do for him.. I know I"ve said this before, but it's worth repeating!

It really allows him to him!

No comments :