Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: I can't believe what he asked for.....

Friday, September 27, 2013

I can't believe what he asked for.....

Happy Friday! Good morning sunshine! Hello birds and butterflies. What a day it was yesterday- Ty built I think 5 things out of wood, including a garden wine glass table. The kind that holds your wine glass while sitting quietly in the garden. Yes, he built one for me. He also built me a shelf. We didn't know what he was up to. He really didn't want anyone around. Not me, for sure not the behaviorist. But yesterday had to have been the most independent he's been in well over 8 weeks. Very focused, just building away. Do not interrupt the creative process, otherwise you'll probably get growled at. But all the hammering, drilling, creating, painting makes for really good sensory inputs into the body, which then hopefully means a calmer more organized little boy. And he was for almost the entire day. Not one behavior until the transition of dinner and potty. Pretty typical unfortunately. But ALL DAY- not one hit, not one thing thrown at me, and really not unkind words directed at me. A very nice change of pace. Now no reason to go into details regarding the behaviors last night- okay fine, blah blah blah... and off to bed. This morning, he slept until 6:24am- wow! Awesome. Went about his morning- he was a little off. You can tell by how he talks, how he demands something and if you don't comply- watch out. Pretty usual for him. A few minor behaviors, okay and then he said something. He asked for something. I couldn't believe my ears. Did he really just say that? What? Okay, ready....... He said oh my back, I don't think I can run and play today without my back being rubbed. !!!!! WOW - what an amazing moment to us as parents. He is asking for something to help his body. He wants his back to be rubbed because it feels good- to the body and the brain. WOW!!! Brian and I just took a moment and looked at each other, and smiled a very happy proud moment smile. It was amazing. Which of course daddy jumped right in and sat on him- which Ty likes while he lays on his tummy on the ground and used deep pressure along his arms, back, shoulders, legs. We know what kind of touch he likes and doesn't like- but really unless your hands are hurting, you're not doing it right. Ty loves deep pressure where you would think it would hurt- but not to him. He just laid there- smiling. What a beautiful start to our Friday. He then get focused on making a costume out of cardboard box for our dog Oliver. Lots of cutting, planning, tying, creating- for about 35 minutes. Then he was onto the next project in his head. Building more things. I hear hammering, drilling and carrying of wood. This is his project. He wants to do it by himself- I want him to do it by himself. He's in a calm state- he knows tool safety when he's better regulated. Last week, no access to tools, he wasn't calm enough, regulated enough, he was way to unpredictable. But I love when he can do it- this is what he and I do best together. BUILD!!!! Ever since he was little, he likes to use tools and build things with me. That's how we really connect. So I will come up with some project so I"m outside building too, along side him. Sometimes he'll politely ask for help with something. I help him, he says thanks mom. Because that is who my little boy really is! I am a proud mama this morning.

No comments :