Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: so many things today.....

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

so many things today.....

Busiest day this mom has had in literally years

And with more transitions out of the house than we've done in I don't know how long

I got a kickboxing workout in (well first one in six months, but I"m hopeful that it will continue)

Played baseball with my boy

Picked up littlest from second grade with Ty and Gretchen

This is where the day started to get a little iffy

things are starting to slide, demands are being negotiated (at least from him)

luckily after trying his hardest to negotiate for I have no idea what- it wasn't making any sense at this point of our "transition"

I simply got in the car with Gretchen, (and prayed really hard he'll just come out to the car without any issues)

And ultimately he did- just took some time- but waiting it out- worked at this moment

picked up Sarah- and this is where things kind of went south

Again, he was trying to negotiate for I have no idea what

what completely unhappy with the lack of response I was giving him and clearly not giving him the answer he was hoping for

but we all know at this point in our crazy life game that it's not about "anything" it's just him, trying to gain control when he's feeling out of control

so I could have said Yes to whatever the heck he was asking for,

but trust me, wouldn't have mattered, wouldn't have changed the outcome, wouldn't have done anything different- because that's not what it was about

Anyway- a bit of uneasy times in the car, had to pull over because he did begin to hit

but ultimately we got home (remember it's only a 1/4 mile, but some days that 1/4 mile feels like 100 miles)

And this is again a dicy situation when we get home- he jumps out of the car and runs to the house- and says he's locking us out

obviously not thinking clearly at all since I have house keys because I was driving the car

but these are those moments you just "wait out" the best you can

and even though it was hot- ugh I made a move when I thought things were calmer- oops

jumped in a little too soon- he wasn't ready to "be calmer"

but at some point- door opened (BTW although I had keys, he was holding with all his might the deadbolt so that I was not able to turn the darn key- damn he's persistent

So, little by little he calmed down- and although it was early out day for littlest, she had ballet today (yeah talk about trying to have my girls exist outside our home in this crazy life of ours- ) so this means we have to leave our house again and take her to ballet!

and at the rate we were going after school pick up- things are not looking very likely

crap

But guess what, yep, he falls asleep- probably the best outcome after that "situation" at pick up

and no way am I going to wake him up to take Sarah to dance- luckily I have the greatest friend in the entire world

and she so lovingly picked up Sarah and brought her to ballet and even stayed and watched for a bit-

yeah, did I mention she is the definition of what a real best friend is- took me 30 some odd years to find one, but wow- she is tops- always willing to help me and my family out- and never asking for anything in return... although I try to do what I can- but I think by now you can see I have very little to offer "others" and well, most people just disappear

I"m not the easiest friend to have- our circumstances make well, everything pretty stinky all the time- for anything outside of this family- and although I try- I really really try- it's not exactly a very reciprocal friendship-

that's how you know, she is the most amazing true friend

and one day I hope I can make up for all she has done for me

anyway- she brought Sarah to ballet- and Ty eventually woke up... kind of confused, kind of demanding, and realizing wait that didn't work out so well

and although there was some behaviors- he did his"time"

in the hammock- that's awesome

and I knew I still had to get Sarah, and I knew I am pushing this kid beyond how he's been pushed in a long time (for at least coming and going out of the house)

so yeah, naturally I know what will "bribe" "motivate" what ever you want to call it-

it's a very critical thing to maintain with kids with Autism- and luckily right now he is motivated by french fries

okay, we leave early enough to stop and get jack n' the box french fries (only drive thru)

and we go get Sarah- he waits in the car- which actually is great-

we come home- and it's just that- we come home

no issues, no behaviors, no challenges transitioning back home

Yeah, pretty awesome!

Oh and to go back a bit

he was my little electrical engineer today- working on snap circuits to create alarms, bells, fan, flying saucer, a few other cool things that he followed the directions on how to build the circuit to create the outcome

now how cool is that!

And people are always asking "what school does he get?

yeah, electrical circuits, Egyptian pyramids, 49ers history and cooking

shall I go on?

He lives education, he lives to learn

we provide a calmer, less stimulating loving, caring, and very sensory oriented environment so that he CAN learn

so that he CAN be himself

so that he CAN be happy!

and today, he was an electrical engineer

wonder what he'll be tomorrow?

and this is why we do what we do for him

check out these photos- he was so engaged

and it continued randomly throughout the day, and he couldn't wait to share it with daddy!

That's a pure joy moment!

so I had started out talking about all the things that seemed to make this day challenging, but yet, somewhat "normal" for me, productive, a day like we don't typically have EVER

and after the pick up from ballet, daddy home, I was ABLE to make dinner for the second, third (I've lost count because it's more than one)

and a meal that everyone ate- last night- gluten free dairy free chicken alfredo (wow it was good)

and tonight- in a pinch and little time I made chicken and dumplings (and of course gluten and dairy free)

and then I was out of the house again- seriously, out in the world for a 3rd time in one day!

Had to pick up oldest after theatre practice

so, how amazing is that!

To me, pretty amazing, and it's weird, because for me it's so so so unusual and unheard of for me to leave the house 3 times in one day (2 with Ty)

and yet, to everyone else in the world, coming and going, leaving and arriving, being somewhere else is the norm, their existence, a part of life

But not in this family!

And I don't know what tomorrow will bring

I will do my very best to help him remain calm, remain in control of his own body

to allow him to feel a sense of control that I know he will desire from all that has challenged him today

But what a day for him and us!

What a day.....

and that brings a smile to my face as I write this, thinking about him, and how hard everything is to him all the time every waking moment of his day

and look what he has done both yesterday and today!

That's pretty amazing, don't you think!

No comments :