Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: A good day even with "eruptions"-

Friday, September 26, 2014

A good day even with "eruptions"-

Although Sarah stayed home with bowel issues....we had a great day learning about volcanoes. We read a book. We watched 'how the earth was made volcanoes'.....and check out our volcano model that once dry we will paint and watch it erupt:)

. Oh and best part I didn't have to 'escape' the house once today due to behavioral over reaction. Yeah for a good day!!

Funny how even with eruptions, from Volcanoes - we had a good day..... what's different

hmm let me think, let me think

oh yeah...... OUR BUBBLE IS ZIPPED TIGHT!

PERIOD!

talk about just going back to what we know to help him

yep, back to our bubble, as hard as it may be at times- but minimizing all external stimulation, not going anywhere, not adjusting routine too radically

and then I have a boy who wants to engage, wants to learn, wants to participate, is happy, is kind, is just simply a little boy!

How the hell can anyone tell me we aren't doing the right thing for him based on this ... this is how it has been since he was literally a baby

and well.... it's simply what he needs right now...

in the future, who knows, but right now he is still unable to tolerate the external stimulation that life throws around everywhere....

today he and I will paint the volcano, we will read some "facts about Hawaii"- (this is my sneak in of learning... pretending I'm a teacher, we'll call this our "geography, geology, US History lesson" ... starting with Hawaii

heck today he wants to watch a documentary "How the Earth was made- Pompeii"

I mean seriously, how many 10 year old boys want to watch a documentary on Pompeii...... yeah my boy- and this is exactly what emerging curriculum is, exactly what child led learning is about- this is education - learning, and then wanting to learn more.... not traditional, but clearly traditional is a bit over rated... I want my kids to love to learn!

I want my kids to love to explore and try to figure out the answers to their awesome questions themselves

I want my kids to discover how to "think", how to dissect information, how to pull together information they learn and have there own thoughts based on fact.... not sure traditional education actually teaches the model of "kids learning" especially based on their own interests and development.

By the looks of my 2nd graders homework, it's just read and test, read and test.... what does that actually teacher her?

I didn't know how to "learn" in all my years of formal education, through college even

until quite honestly I became a mom!

I didn't know all the things that I am actually genuinely interested in, and my kids have shown me how to learn, how to explore my interests... we do it together!

And well, this kind of knowledge is much more powerful and motivating then - read this, because that's what the state tells us is important for your grade level!

Just not a fan!

I get all the other aspects of what public school offers, and my girls both love it... .

but quite honestly, the way our family lives is what inspires them to continue learning, the fact that last night me and the kids sat and watched a documentary together on Mt. St. Helens.... and they loved it!

That is pretty special, and that makes me proud as their parent.

It's about the moments, not the day to day crap that comes our way so much of our days

That was a great moment, building a volcano with Sarah and Ty was a great moment, Megan and Ty discussing Mt. St. Helen's last night during the documentary- that's a great moment

I live for great moments!

And my dream some day is for my kids to continue their passion for learning and I know that they will do something great with their passions!

And most importantly, show compassion towards others always!

Because reality is our society does not show enough compassion for our fellow humans.... and especially if one "falls outside the traditional model of what our society deems as "acceptable"....

but lucky for my kids, Brian and I do not care and we will continue to support our children in ways that help them as individuals thrive and be happy

No matter what!

And Ty has experienced enough trauma and pain in his short little life

How can we expect him to continue doing things "their way"

The boy is a fighter, he has had to be, I'm not about to take that fighting spirit away- just tame it, help him see how to use his passion and fighting spirit in good ways, and help him learn to better cope with the so many things that have caused him pain and agony

No matter what it takes, how long it takes, I won't, we won't ever give up!

He has so many amazing talents, amazing qualities, amazing gifts

our job is to help filter the world so that he can let them out! And maybe someday, he'll learn how to better filter the world himself

but until then, he's got us!

No comments :