Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: We went somewhere...

Friday, June 20, 2014

We went somewhere...

We took a chance last night!

It was a risk, a risk that we could be totally setting him up to explode!

We left our house all together, yes I said, that-

ALL TOGETHER in one car

and yes I also said that

IN ONE CAR

we drove over to Brian's sister's house to have a little swim time

and to finally introduce Gretchen to their dog Buddy

First, Gretchen and Buddy are the greatest friends now

they had so much fun playing like big dogs and the kids all LOVED watching them interact!

And then to swimming

it was great- it was great to see Ty participating, playing, being silly as a 10 year old boy should

We hadn't been over their to swim in almost 2 years now (weren't able to swing it at all last summer)

but with the right supports in place, the right elements, the right day, pretty much all stars aligned just so to help Ty tolerate leaving our home

and he did it!

We did it... it was fun, relaxing and great to see the kids all having such fun with their cousins!

Now I won't ruin this fun experience by telling you the night time routine was a bit harder than the past few days- he was pretty jacked up

still trying to play basketball at 10:45PM

and this morning when he came into my room at 6:30AM

which I"m totally not complaining about- I will take the 6:30AM any day because I know it could have been way earlier

but then he started to insist on watching a cartoon that is kind of an off limits cartoon- and it's off limits because it is too activating to his brain- way too much happening

too stimulating

and I could tell he was a little jacked up this morning as well, but I made a deal with him

If he sat in the squish box, he could watch ONE show (20 minutes in length)

I was trying to avoid the meltdown, yes, I was trying to give him some control, yes, so I figured the squish box would help counteract any "over stimulating" show he would watch!

well this is how my brain was thinking at 6:30AM .... I"m not saying it was perfect plan- just a sleepy tired, want to go back to sleep even for 10 minutes.

you know that feeling

so probably not making the absolute best decision, but in my mind at that time, under the circumstances

it made sense :)

So he did it, which makes me more proud, because with his usual opposition to EVERYTHING

he complied and so he got to watch the show he wanted to watch

Justice League Super Friends

Which I loved Super Friends when I was little, but let me tell you, these new versions are awful!

so much happening, lots of quick flashes, lots of movements

I prefer him to watch old school cartoons if he is going to watch animated show... new cartoons are too much for the brain

old school cartoons are much simpler, therefore not over activating (usually)

which is also why I prefer "real people " shows over animated

we have tested this theory so many times over the years-

there is an absolute correlation of watching a too over activating/over stimulating show and behavior!

I was once told be a great OT- what input goes into the brain, has to be released by output..... what goes in must come out

and if it's too much going in, it's going to be too much coming out- and for my kid,

too much coming out comes in the form of "crazy behavior"

But one thing is we went over to cousins house yesterday evening for about 2 hours to swim and play with dogs and

WE DID IT!!!!

it was fun, enjoyable, and I hope we can do it again real soon! Yeah!

No comments :