Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: Lego's- an awesome teaching tool

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lego's- an awesome teaching tool

My morning coffee routine has been happily accompanied by some serious lego building!

I personally consider lego's one of the greatest educational teaching tools.

A few days ago it was about building a giant dragon raptor with the world's largest wing span. So, a lesson in physics and engineering! .....

He made it have a wing span of 4'3" before the wings collapsed, which he then clearly said, 'I need to give it better supports.' Okay!!!!!

This morning he had his Lego book out- reading, yes reading about other things including the question "the people who build these are old and always like in the U.K."

I simply asked him if he knew where the U.K. was and what it stood for..... his answer, a quick no then he quickly jumped in and said "United Kingdom" and then I added England..... then he continued on with his building, perfecting, ever changing ideas.

So he has built using an idea from his lego book, a car building place (as he called it)..... complete with robot arms, conveyor belt for the assembly line, one person running the machine, a hoist to lift up the car....
and the one thing that made me most proud...... and this could honestly be one of the first time's- he got the idea from his lego book, but put his own imagination into the creation using the pieces HE HAS... which are not exactly like the one's in the book... especially the colors (I don't know how they have so many pieces of the same color, anyway)

This is a big deal in his world and the fact that he pointed out the differences of his creation and the one in the book.... well, that's just awesome and he was proud of himself!

I love lego's, I love what they do for Ty. Seriously, they are an awesome teaching tool....... again, formal education- eh over rated! :)

No comments :