Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: so, now it be would nice to go ANYWHERE!!

Friday, August 9, 2013

so, now it be would nice to go ANYWHERE!!

So, of course my latest creation is the magic bullet to help my son be able to leave our home, right :) . Not that we haven't tried MANY MANY things before- we have transition routines. Transition items, count down to leaving visuals, focused activity items, crunchy food items, animals, so many things tried, and tried again. But the overall day to day transition of leaving our house, getting in the car is still too much and not worth the behavioral over reaction that becomes a very unsafe environment for driving in the car. So I am ALWAYS trying to come up with SOMETHING that can help him, me, our family, the entire situation. So, now what does everyone think?? My girls, who also both suffer from sensory issues but have better coping skills (usually) love them... and as I sit here typing, I have a weighted snake buddy on my neck- to help provide calmness as I have my own sensory issues (my apples don't fall that far from the family tree- between myself and my husband, definitely sensory issues. ) So, when we absolutely have to leave the home, go out in the world, I hope I am able to bribe him enough to put it on his lap, or wear it on his neck along with all of our other strategies to help relieve his anxiety and provide some calmness and be able to get through the car ride. As school approaches, it's a lot less do-able to stay in our bubble. That's why I love summer time so much. It simply helps him. I know I know, many would say - that's no way to live. But you know what, when you have a child with special needs, both medically, psychologically, and deal with what we deal with, priorities change, your life has to change, and we do what our son can handle. Even our behaviorists have asked to make outings that are only absolutely necessary. Because you can't even teach him coping skills, when all you deal with is major overreaction behaviors that are dangerous and scary at times- he doesn't know how else to communicate except using these behaviors- it's called fight or flight- and to him, he is in danger. And we will continue to work on helping him access coping skills, communication skills, functional language skills. But until he's better able to do this, we have to meet him where he is. That's our bubble.

No comments :