Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: phase 2 of my deck.... complete...

Thursday, August 8, 2013

phase 2 of my deck.... complete...

So deck is complete except a few minor details: ran out of stain, so just need to finish the staining and I have to finish the step- and trim... but here is a look at the almost finished deck... I love how 2/3 of it is made with reclaimed lumber. Now, some of you may not know what reclaimed lumber means. Sometimes you have to buy reclaimed lumber- lumber used and salvaged for a new use..... however- I have received all my reclaimed lumber FREE!!! Yes, FREE... quite my little find- and really I tailored the design and structure of my deck to utilize the pieces I had- most were 4ft 2x4's.... so those are all the joists- and then to make it fun and funky- why be traditional... I mixed in the use of the reclaimed lumber along with the store bought lumber. And I intentionally made it obvious. The reclaimed lumber is in a pattern with mismatched seams, not perfect, a little funky, because the boards were all a little different. The new lumber I left as 2x4x12's and 2x6x12's... so full length boards- no seams. I love the way the stain (red oak) has been absorbed into both the new wood and the old wood- it really gives it an old deck feeling, but with new deck support- this thing is sturdy and not moving! I"ll post complete project pictures when I am able. But I have to say a little pat on my back- I did the entire thing by myself. Not that my husband wouldn't have helped, but in our circumstances- both of us distracted usually means chaos will occur in our household- so I really do consider this was a respite project- and I loved when Ty or the girls wanted to participate, even if it was minimal. Also, my favorite quote from my husband regarding the deck, as we sat on it for the first time, with a camp fire going in the fire pit, drinking a nice glass of wine, "Our yard is really relaxing and feels to calm and comfortable".... a very high compliment from my hubby! It meant a lot and made my heart smile!

No comments :