Pin It
My Paradise in a Bubble: My little chef.....

Sunday, August 4, 2013

My little chef.....

Well, not the best start to a weekend. But today, Sunday- Daddy and Megan off grocery shopping (that's their Sunday thing), I was working in the back yard finishing up the back deck (post pictures later)and I knew he was up to something. He was awfully quiet. Which is good, sometimes, but decided to check in on him anyway. He has been in a good mood (ever since he woke up from his morning nap.... before that- well I was pounced, and almost literally dragged out of bed.. just a little off at first). So I walked into the kitchen- and I see all the cupboards open, the step stool next to the counter, things taken out of the bottom cabinets and laying on the floor- and there's Ty, standing on the stool, putting tomatoes and bell peppers he cut into a mini food processor- trying to figure out why it won't turn on. He turns to me and smiles and say's "I'm making Daddy salsa". Well, yep, he is- why not. But he is having trouble with food processor- it won't turn on. He simply asks me why and can I help him. Well, sure- I even ask him to put the things that were on the floor back in the cupboard and then we'll figure this out. HE DID! Yeah. So I pretty much knew why it wouldn't turn on- if it's not properly put and secured on it won't turn on. I explained this is a safety measure and that's why it's important to ask for help. So he begins the chopping- he adds green onions we grew from our scrap green onions, and I add some lemon juice and salt and pepper. All I can say is WOW! It was so good. Now he never actually likes to eat the stuff he makes for some reason. In fact, he said it looked weird to him and it was bubbly. That's from the mixing of course- so he was now done- and off he went. I encouraged him to try it with a chip- but he didn't want to. He was now on to the next thing- he wanted to make green salsa. But I luckily distracted him enough to move past that and we'll make that later today. But Sarah and I sat there munching on chips and his homemade salsa- and I just think to myself- again here is an amazing gift he has. Cooking- he loves to do it- he loves to make things (when he's in a really really good mood) for me and Brian. He doesn't usually allow the girls to have any of what he's made- it's for mommy and daddy he always says. And it's always good- he really has an amazing gift for putting flavors together- reading recipes (as he doesn't read books- but he'll read sports scores and recipe books to make something.) Well, fine with me! This is one of those moments... the moment that he is wanting to do something for someone else, he's excited about it, and he's being so creative. Now these are the times that we just cherish- and soak in- and remember that he's just a little boy- who struggles with so much and tries so hard- when he's able. Some days, he just can't. It's too hard- but some moments he can and he smiles and enjoys the moment too! Now that's an awesome moment- a shared moment! And a very proud mommy moment!

No comments :